Upgrading BIND with new hardware and new IP address

Church, Simon schurch at lifemasters.com
Tue Aug 23 15:58:44 UTC 2005

Hello,
We have an existing server (e.g. EXTDNS01) running windows 2000 and BIND
9.21. We need to move this to new hardware, upgrade to the latest
version of BIND and also change the IP address of our server and
register it with the appropriate organization.

This server is also a slave to our master name server (e.g. EXTDNS01),
so we do have some fault tolerance if this server is down for a period
of time. I can also keep the old server online for as long as necessary,
so I could potentially set up the new server as a second slave server
(e.g. EXTDNS03). If I did this, I would have to rename the server later
on to EXTDNS02. Does BIND handle name changes OK?

I am looking for recommendations on how best to get this new server on
line. How should I go about the upgrade to the latest version of BIND as
well as changing the hardware at the same time?

Thanks,
Simon

This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, contains or may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged information. The information is solely for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender and delete the electronic transmission (including any attached documents) and all copies thereof. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution, or use is strictly prohibited.