automatic registration

Roman Mashak romez777 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 05:58:25 UTC 2005

Hello.

I'm trying to implement automatic registration of domains and hosts.
It's supposed to be as a part of dynamic DNS research project for my
graduation. As an idea I chose to investigate the source code of
'nsupdate' utility from Bind distribution.

Few questsions arise:
1) what rules should I adhere to fulfill the procedure of domain registration
1) what's the most reliable way to check the domain isn't occupied yet
2) what's the maximum length of fully quilified domain name by standard?

Thanks in advance for any helpful recommendations.

--
Roman