Can one mirror a web server ?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 03:10:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 18:16 -0800, Pete Tenereillo wrote:
> Kevin, why do call out the browser multiple A record failover process as
> "slow"? Slow relative to what? It takes between 12 and 21 seconds with IE at
> the default settings (clearly the most common, time depends on version), and
> a minute or so with Netscape (and I think FireFox). In neither case is a
> "site unavailable" type dialog box displayed to the user. It just silently
> connects. I thought that was the intent of multiple A records??? Seems to me
> it works like a charm.

Working like a charm is a bit of a stretch with Firefox on Linux (kudos
to IE for getting it right).  Firefox seems to wait at least a minute or
more, and then forgets the IP address that worked and retries from the
top of the list when navigating to another page on the same hostname.
Firefox makes it impossible to consider it working or charming. ;-)  I
will however retract my earlier statement that this yields a page
timeout.

-Jim P.