Parent/Child Zone Delegation + Virtual Host question

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Feb 3 14:02:20 UTC 2005

jett charnchoochai <jett at panix.com> wrote, in part:

>I'm currently asked to give up our master DNS server to the main
>department. I requested to become a child zone so we have control over
>our zone data. The problem is we also do virtual hosting on the master
>server before and I'm not sure if it's possible under a Child Zone.
>We'll need to keep hosting these domains. Anyone has suggestions? I put
>these domains in named.conf of the child zone server and this is what i
>get in the log:
>
>----------- snip -------------
>Feb  2 12:07:10 ns1 named[31186]: dns_master_load:
>master/db.ankle.human.edu:14: ankle.human.edu: not at top of zone
>Feb  2 12:07:10 ns1 named[31186]: zone www.asparagus.com/IN: loading
>master file master/db.ankle.human.edu: not at top of zone
>--------- end snip -----------
>
><<lines deleted>>
>
>----------- start db.ankle.human.edu --------------
>$TTL 1d
>ankle.human.edu.        IN      SOA     ns1.ankle.human.edu.
>admin.ankle.human.edu. (
>         2004112101      ; serial
>         3h              ; refresh
>         1h              ; retry
>         1w              ; expire
>         1h )            ; negative caching TTL
>
>; authoritative name servers for ankle.human.edu
>                 IN      NS      ns1
>                 IN      NS      ns2
>
>; MX records for ankle.human.edu
>                 IN      MX 0    mail1
>
>; DMZ hosts on T1 line
>ankle.human.edu IN      A       201.54.84.30
>ns1             IN      A       201.54.84.2
>mail1           IN      A       201.54.84.15
>
><<the rest deleted here>>

Look at line 14 of db.ankle.human.edu, as that is what the error message
says.  I am not exactly sure how BIND counts lines, but I do see this:

     ankle.human.edu IN      A       201.54.84.30

I think that since the zone in question is

     ankle.human.edu

then the initial token on that line should either be

     @

or what you have WITH THE ADDITION of a trailing "." to fully
qualify the name.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov