Hostname query

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 9 18:21:51 UTC 2005

Frank wrote:

>Hello All
>
>Solaris 9, I have created all my zone files and created
>/etc/named.conf, everything is OK, i havent created a resolv.conf and
>set my hostname of the machine to server1.hostname.com which is the
>FQDN.
>
>Is this correct?

Define "correct". Without a resolv.conf, your box is left to its
operating-system defaults as to how it resolves names. Is that
"correct"? Depends on your local standards, conventions, expectations,
etc. Without setting your hostname to server1.hostname.com, your machine
may not know how to identify itself properly for purposes of routing
mail, etc. Is that "correct"? Depends on your local standards,
conventions, expectations, etc. There are so many ways that folks set up
their servers these days, it's hard to know what someone considers to be
"correct" behavior or not...