BIND master to master transfer

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Feb 11 23:24:16 UTC 2005

Jason Staudenmayer wrote:

>I'm running a master and slave BIND 9.3 servers. These serve my AD
>domain. I would like to move the master to server 2 (slave) and then
>have the current master be slave. What's the safest way to do this
>without having the AD DC freak along with the Exchange2k3 server.
>Thanks

For ordinary DNS resolution, no-one should really care who is the master
and who is the slave. So I can't imagine why Exchange would inherently
have an issue with this migration (although I've never dealt directly
with Exchange, so take that with a grain of salt).

Any issues related to record caching can be handled by lowering the TTLs
on the relevant A record(s) prior to the migration.

As for AD, it's presumably doing Dynamic Updates to your server, so it
might care what's in the MNAME field of the SOA record. You may want to
consider changing the MNAME to some "alternate" name, one that resolves
to the same IP address as your current master, but isn't the "regular"
name by which it is usually known. You'll need a matching NS record
pointing to that name as well. At the time of migration, you can then
change just the A record owned by that "alternate" name, without having
to touch anything else. If you're really paranoid about Dynamic Updates
failing during the changeover, you could, theoretically, configure
update forwarding from the old master to the new one, which should work
fine in BIND 9.3 (although, I've never configured update forwarding, so
again, take that suggestion with a grain of salt).