BIND Help Required

Jo Rodriguez jojo472 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 12 12:23:07 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am building a server that is to be placed at a co-lo provider, I would
like to set up DNS but I haven't done it before, but I know how to use it
once it's set up. I have a few quickies that are probably easy for you guys.

If I use nslookup and set my nameserver as this server, all my records seem
to be set up correctly and things look like they work fine.

It's been 24 hours since my first changes, how does the rest of the world to
see my DNS records (I've lowered the TTL to very low numbers)? Another way
of rewording that question is, how are my own changes propagated?

I have a zone mydomain.com along with a few others, and I have created A
records for the hosts ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com. I'm not sure
what the NS record for this zone should be?

If I have a working set of nameservers, i.e ns1.mydomain.com and
ns2.mydomain.com, I'll be fine. All of my hosts are using ns1.mydomain.com
as a nameserver so naturally they wont work until I get that one right.

It's just getting to that initial stage things are fuzzy. I've been reading
as much as I can, I'll take any advice on board. Thanks for your help.

Jo :-)