BIND 9 scaling

Phill Wood phill.wood at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 17:06:30 UTC 2005

Hi All

I've just subbed to the list. We've been using BIND for some years
now, currently on versions 9.2.3 and 9.2.4.

We're master for a relatively small number of zones (~ 1500) and
provide a caching nameserver service as well. I've never encountered
any performance issues myself but my management are asking what the
limits might be.

We served 6,000,000 requests yesterday using one CPU of a dual-CPU
Sparc box (running with -n 1 due to threading bug in 9.2.3). Maximum
load average was 0.46.

Can I say, therefore, that we will be able to serve 12,000,000
requests easily and then performance may wane? And at what level of
hits would we start to suffer?

I think what I'm asking is: does BIND performance scale fairly
linearly to a load average of 1 and then start to become geometric or
what?

Regards

Phill