Bind Configuration GUI

Jason Vas Dias jvdias at redhat.com
Wed Feb 16 18:36:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 06:29, nj wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am new to Bind and I thought that I would start by using the GUI.
>
> Everytime I go to save the changes that I have made, I get errors
> saying that the A record has no attribute: owner or the PTR record has
> no attribute: owner.
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong?
>

> Basically, this is how I want the DNS server set up:
>
> Fedora Core 3 Linux box (DNS Server) internal IP: 192.168.2.3
> Webserver internal IP: 192.168.2.5
>
> For the sake of getting it working, I'll call the domain example.com.
>
> If anyone could provide examples of exactly what I need to put into my
> zone/conf files, I'd appreciate it greatly.
>
> I am struggling with the GUI and the config files at the moment.
>
> I hope someone can help me out here!
>

> Thanks in advance!

You are trying to use system-config-bind on Red Hat FC3, yes ?
system-config-bind-2.0.3 had many problems, and has been replaced
by system-config-bind-4.0.0 , which will shortly be submitted
to fc3-updates - it is just missing the help document and
non-english translations at the moment .
You can get the latest version from:
  http://people.redhat.com/~jvdias/system-config-bind/
This supports many new features over 2.0.3, ( and actually works ! :)
  o all RR types and named configuration objects and options are now
    supported (almost) - any that still are not are preserved -
    there is no need for a "named.custom" file now. Shortly (within
    the next week or so) version 4.0.1 will support ALL RR types &
    named.conf options.
  o BIND9 features such as views are fully supported
  o IPV6 & NSAP zones are fully supported
  o There is a new 'Import' facility to import hosts files, with
    address or name filtering and automatic creation of zones as
    required.
  o Automatic creation of PTR records when creating an A or AAAA record
    and of A/AAAA when creating a PTR (can be disabled / enabled)
  o There are full featured GUIs for editing ACLs, key generation,
    and Logging configuration
  o Formatting and comments in pre-existing named.conf and zone files
    are preserved on writes
  o Server start / stop / restart / reload can be controlled from GUI
  o named-checkconf is used to ensure that no invalid configuration
    files are ever written to the active named configuration files.
This tool is in pure Python, and so can be used on any system with
Python 2.2+ . At the moment, it still has a dependency on the Red Hat
python module "rhpl" - to use on non Red Hat systems, unpack the
'rhpl.tar' file, containing only .py files, in
     /usr/lib/python2.${PYREL}/
This dependancy will be removed in 4.0.1 .
Please send feedback to jvdias at redhat.com or use
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/
.