Help! Getting SERVFAIL errors on nslookup

Boyack, Kurt Kurt.Boyack at pyxis.com
Tue Feb 22 03:49:56 UTC 2005

> Joshua Peter writes:
>=20
> ****  nslookup results  ****
> [root at localhost fsjcp2]# nslookup
> Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
> Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run=20
> nslookup with
> the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
> >server 127.0.0.1
> Default server: 127.0.0.1
> Address: 127.0.0.1#53
> >somefakedomain.com
> Server:         127.0.0.1
> Address:        127.0.0.1#53
>=20
> ** server can't find somefakedomain.com: SERVFAIL
>=20

Check syslog for errors (probably /var/log/messages). My guess is the =
permissions are wrong on the somefakedomain.com.zone file (at least that =
is my most common mistake). If there are any problems with named.conf or =
any of your DB files, named will let you know about them in the syslog.

BTW: Consider using host instead of nslookup. ;)