Setting up BIND by new user.

bob prohaska bp at fib.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 18 03:52:11 UTC 2005

Murray Nelson <picker at guitarlesson.tv> wrote:
> My question is I guess "How does BIND know that I am calling my
> nameserver ns1.mymansions.com ???
> How does BIND know that ns1.mymansions.com is the " zone" for
> www.mymansions.net  , mymansions.biz  , mymansions.com ?????

You have to say so! 8-)

You must tell your domain registrar and ISP what your nameservers
are called and what their IP numbers are. Note that your reverse
domain will be named one address lower than your lowest routeable
address [thanks to Andrew for pointing this out!] This information
also goes in named.conf, if you're using named.

Then you have to tell your nameservers what domains they're authoritative
for, and what hosts they should know about. That goes in the zone files.

Hopefully others more knowledgable will furnish extra detail (and error
correction!).

bob prohaska

bob prohaska