Reverse DNS Delegation howto?

Jasper Silvis jaspersilvis at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 11:13:02 UTC 2005

UNSUBSCRIBE
Jim Flowers <jflowers at ezo.net> wrote:I've run into a problem with delegating reverse DNS using BIND 8.2.4 that I
can't figure out and I'm hoping for some guidance.

I have a couple of blocks delegated to me as w.x.y.0/23 which I handle with a
couple of zones 1) y.x.w.in-addr.arpa and 2) y+1.x.w.in-addr.arpa.

Now I want to delegate the second zone to an outsourced dns service and I
can't quite see how to do it.

If I create a zone file for y+1.x.w.in-addr.arpa with the following NS records:

y+1.x.w.in-addr.arpa IN NS ns1.remotedomain.tld.
y+1.x.w.in-addr.arpa IN NS ns2.remotedomain.tld.

It doesn't work and these records are not in named_dump.db although the soa
record is. I figure this is because you aren't allowed to delegate a zone
twice and the y+1.x.w.in-addr.arpa zone has already been delegated once by my
upstream ISP. Yes/No?

Is there a correct way to accomplish this or will I have to get this done by
my upstream ISP?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
Jim Flowers