MS DNS - Internal WWW Resolving to External IP

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Feb 27 01:35:20 UTC 2005

At 11:47 AM 2/25/2005, rich251076 at hotmail.com wrote:
>For the purpose of describing my problem we have a domain called,
>
>mydomain.com :)
>
>In my domain I have one MS DNS Server. This sever allows my users to
>resolve internal hostnames and if they wish to browse the internet, the
>DNS server forwards to my ISP's DNS servers so users can resolve the
>desired websites.
>
>I have an IIS web server in the DMZ on our network. External users,
>customers and so forth have no problems browsing to my website hosted
>on this machine.
>
>When my internal users try to resolve the website they never get to the
>machine.
>
>Tests show that:
>
>1. Internal users can get into the website if they put the internal IP
>address of the site into their browser
>
>2. NSLOOKUP for www.mydomain.com on their machines resolved the
>external IP of the site
>
>I have entered an ANAME record on my DNS server for www.mydomain.com,
>however when I perform an NSLOOKUP for www.mydomain.com it still
>resolved to the external IP.
>
>My questions are as follows:
>
>1. Why can't my internal staff get see our website when they resolve it
>using the external IP, is some kind of loopback happening in the
>firewall e.g. traffic is going out and coming back in?
>
>2. How can I setup MSDNS to resolve www.mydomain.com to the internal
>ANAME entry I created?

At what point in this is BIND involved here? If this is a Microsoft problem why
aren't you contacting Microsoft Support? They get paid to answer these
questions, that's why you pay them so much money every year. Make sure
that you provide them with as much annonymized information so that they
will also be unable to answer your questions.

Danny