BIND name resolution issues..

WipeOut me at here.com
Sun Feb 27 19:16:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am a newbie to BIND and I am having some funny results so I thought I
would ask here because I can't seem to get it straight..

I have a server with 2 IP's and wanted BIND to listen on both of them so
I edited named.conf and modified the "listen-on" line to include
"127.0.0.1; <ip1>; <ip2>;"..

If I try and "dig @<my NS IP> www.microsoft.com" from the local console
or from a remote PC the name server resolves the IP..

If I try and "dig @<my NS IP> www.mydomain.com" where "mydomain.com" is
a zone on my name server it will not resolve from the local console or a
remote PC.. In other words recursive queries are working but local zones
aren't resolving..

I really don't know what to look at next..

So I need to fix two issues..
1) I need the name server to resolve IP's for local zones..
2) I need to limit recursive queries to my servers only so that others
on the internet can't use my server for name resolution..

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks..

--- sanitised named.conf ---
# cat /etc/named.conf
options {
         directory "/hsphere/local/var/named";
         listen-on { 127.0.0.1;
         <IP1>;
         <IP2>; };
         transfer-source 127.0.0.1;
         pid-file "/hsphere/local/var/named/named.pid";
};

zone "." IN { type hint; file "local/named.ca"; };
zone "localhost" IN { type master; file "local/localhost.zone";
allow-update { none; }; };
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN { type master; file "local/named.local";
allow-update { none; }; };

include "zones_index.conf";
acl anyip{any;};