strage Non-existent host/domain

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 4 14:02:33 UTC 2005

In article <crd1jp$2nus$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <maillist at computerking.ca> wrote:

> >It's coming from the glue record on the GTLD servers, due to the host
> >registration of NS1.SHOEMASTERS.COM:
> >
> >$ whois -h whois.internic.net ns1.shoemasters.com
> >
> >Whois Server Version 1.3
> >
> >Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
> >with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> >for detailed information.
> >
> >   Server Name: NS1.SHOEMASTERS.COM
> >   IP Address: 68.144.231.38
> >   Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
> >   Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
> >   Referral URL: http://domainhelp.tucows.com
> >

> My interface for nameservers seems to be at telushosting.com rather than
> TUCOWS.  That is what i have a username and password for also a dialog

Lots of registrars seem to be fronts for TUCOWS behind the scenes.

> to enter nameservers.   However their interface is sucky and does not
> allow you to enter ip's only names i have waited for 10 days and every
> time i enter the name ns1.shoemasters.com it adds the old 68.144.231.38
> address.  So i have removed it and am running shoemasters.com on only
> one nameserver ns1.computerking.ca seems that shoemasters.com has the
> right address but ns1.shoemasters.com does not.  I have emailed telus
> hosting and they assure me that the ip will update and i should just
> wait longer (more than 10 days???).

The point is that you need to update a HOST object, not a DOMAIN object.
All you did was remove ns1.shoemasters.com as a nameserver for the
DOMAIN, but the host still remained in their registration system
(waiting for you to add it as a server for other domains).  You need to
find that host object and update it.  If you can't figure out how to do
this, call the technical support people at your registrar.

> >A client can only access the zones that are listed in the view that it
> >matches.  So if you want internal clients to be able to see the public
> >zones, you need to include them in both views.
> >

> Knowing these are dumb questions please do not be to upset with me for
> asking.  How come the domains worked before internally without adding
> them to the internal view?  If shoemasters.com is hosted from a
> different ip does it not make it external or is it still considered
> internal should my local name server not query external names servers
> like when i  lookup google.ca, yahoo.com, or any other address on the
> web that i look up?

If you have recursion enabled in the internal view, then it can look up
external domains for its clients by forwarding to external servers.  But
it won't resolve any domains that are delegated to itself if they're not
in the internal view.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA