No subject

comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
Thu Jan 6 16:09:22 UTC 2005

In article <crh4tn$dml$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Mario Sergio Candian <mscandian at FreeBSDBrasil.Com.Br> wrote:

> Hi list,

> I have a FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE box, and I run some services, like as

> Bind9, squid, apache...

> I have been some problems with Bind9. In the messages log, I have this

> line:

> Jan  5 13:17:15 firewall named[594]: client 127.0.0.1#22619: no more

> recursive clients: out of memory

> Then, the named is stopped, and I need to start it always. What can I

> do to fix it? Someone know the cause of the problem?

#The server ran out of virtual memory.  Add more RAM and swap space.

#

#--

#Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu

#Arlington, MA

#*** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***

I'm getting the "no more recursive clients" error as well, but mine is due
to "quota reached."  I know I can increase the quota in named.conf, but that
is just a band-aid for the real issue.  The server in questions runs as the
pop3/backup smtp server and as a backup DNS server.  I've found some users
that are nailing DNS with queries and we contact them to clean up their
issues.  Is there or are the plans to have a way to throttle or limit the
number of queries that can be made from one source?

KA