Question about query log entries

webhead74 at gmail.com webhead74 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 10:50:43 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm rather new to bind.  I've been reading the books & this newsgroup
and feel pretty comfortable, but I have a question about some log
entries I'm seeing.  I've set up custom logging in named.conf and am
sending query info to it's own log file.  I've been seeing entries like
this:

client aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd#53: query: freezemail.com.my_domain_name.com IN
MX
client aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd#53: query:
mxsvr.intervolved.net.my_domain_name.com IN MX
client aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd#53: query:
host116.distributedmail.net.my_domain_name.com IN A

I understand the obvious stuff, like the client & the kind of record
they're asking for.  However, I don't understand why I'm seeing
"my_domain_name.com" (my actual domain name) appended to each of the
requests.  Is this normal, or is something misconfigured somewhere?
FWIW, all of the queries which look like this are coming from one host
- a Symantec SGS firewall we use.  Before I go yelling at the firewall
guys to fix their broken equipment, I wanted a few expert opinions as
to whether this was normal or not.

Thanks,
Kelly