memory usage for 9.2.4

Chris Stromsoe cbs at cts.ucla.edu
Mon Jan 10 07:36:54 UTC 2005

I'm running bind 9.2.4 and am regularly seeing it use > 1.5Gb ram.  I'm
(measured with du).  rndc dumpdb produces a 40Mb dump file.

Immediately after startup completes, bind is using slightly less than
500Mb.  max-cache-size is set to 250M.  The machine has 1Gb of physical
memory + 2Gb swap.

I would expect memory usage to stabilize somewhere around 750Mb, but it
doesn't.  After a few weeks of running, the amount of swapping becomes
noticeable and I have to kill and restart named.  Are there issues with
max-cache-size in 9.2.4?  Or am I missing something obvious?

-Chris