dealing with many domains/zones

Steven Job list3 at wwwcrazy.com
Tue Jan 18 00:41:17 UTC 2005

We have always found that rsynch is faster then running zone transfers on 100k+
domains.  We have never been able to get the number of zone transfers (at one
time) to be anywhere close to what rsynch can do.

> Also, is there any way to minimize the downtime on
> reloads?  I'm guessing that multiple fast CPU's and

Are you just adding domains?  If you are then a "reconfig" is all that you
probably need.  Also a "rndc reload" is MUCH faster than a full stop and start.
 So this is probably what you will want to do.
We have tested a "rndc reload" on 300k domains to be down to about 5 seconds (on
a P4 with fast mem).

-Steve