Active Directory Munging the SOA

Max Clark max at clarksys.com
Thu Jan 20 19:55:18 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I am currently running BIND 9.2.3-13 on RedHat Linux. We are integrating
Windows Active Directory in our environment and need to keep BIND as the
authoritative source for the zone. Dynamic updates are configured and do
work correctly (what a mess AD creates), however, periodicly the
nameserver stops resolving names in the zone.

The error in the name resolution of the zone has been traced twice to
two different errors in the SOA, the first time the semi-colon
terminating the SOA record was missing, the second time the "."
following the domain name at the beginning of the SOA record was missing.

I cannot find anything in the configuration of either the BIND server or
the Active Directory server to suggest what is causing this. Is this a
known issue? How do I fix this problem (if I can't we will have to run
Windows DNS)?

Thanks in advance,
Max

--