Caching only DNS server

Russell D. rmd at sfcn.org
Thu Jan 20 22:03:31 UTC 2005

I have recently setup a caching only DNS server and it is working great.
I am trying to find some info on the nature of the beast I have built. I
gather that the cache is in memory only and is not saved to disk
anywhere and is flushed at each restart. (Bummer.)

What I want to know is how this cache works. Is the size of the cache
just limited my the amount of memory or are there some default
limitations? If I put a bunch of memory in this box will it be able to
have a huge cached database, provided the TTL is high enough? Is this
even advisable?

Any thoughts, comment or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Russell

Relative DNS Neophyte