Retry Limit

Jim McAtee jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com
Mon Jan 24 18:20:55 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim McAtee" <jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com>
To: <bind-users at isc.org>
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 3:33 PM
Subject: Retry Limit

> One of our slave servers is showing multiple errors like the following:
>
> zone domain1.com/IN: refresh: retry limit for master 66.123.118.40#53
> exceeded: 1 Time(s)
> zone domain2.com/IN: refresh: retry limit for master 66.123.118.40#53
> exceeded: 1 Time(s)
>
> Apparently it's a transient problem because transfers of updated zones
> appear to be happening successfully.  Is this 'retry limit' a server
> config setting on either the master or on the slave and can (should) it
> be
> increased?  All servers are running BIND 9.2.3.

I've been told that in the output above the '1 Time(s)' is merely the
number of times the error occurred in the log file.  So then is the 'retry
limit' a time period?  Since I don't see anything regarding the retry
limit in the BIND 9 config file documentation, I assume this period is
fixed.  If so, how long is it?