*************:RE: multiple named process in a single machine?

Mickey.Olsberg at edwardjones.com Mickey.Olsberg at edwardjones.com
Fri Jan 28 15:16:21 UTC 2005

For this you would need to use a transfer-source statement in each
named.conf. To save you some time I did a quick search in the manual and
copied the "official" explanation here:

transfer-source
transfer-source determines which local address will be bound to the TCP
connection used to fetch all zones transferred inbound by the server. If
not set, it defaults to a system controlled value which will usually be
the address of the interface ``closest to'' the remote end. This address
must appear in the remote end's allow-transfer option for the zone being
transferred, if one is specified. This statement sets the
transfer-source for all zones, but can be overridden on a per-zone basis
by including a transfer-source statement within the zone block in the
configuration file.

The TCP port is simply used for zone transfers between authoritative
servers for a zone, or in some rare cases a query response that is too
large for UDP transfer. You will not be doing either of these with the
root name servers. The "server-to-server" communication you are
referring to is actually a recursive query, and these are handled on UDP
53 just like resolver-to-server communication is...

Hope this helps again!