DNS cluster

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jul 7 12:00:42 UTC 2005

At 12:25 PM +0100 2005-07-07, Stelios A. wrote:

>  I am trying to set up a DNS cluster using a traditional master-slave but I
>  cannot find a way to add the appropriate entries in named.conf on the
>  slave DNS (master will run linux with cpanel control panel installed).

	There's no standard way to automatically distribute changes to
named.conf, at least not so far as I know.

>  That means that although the zone files would automatically synchronise,
>  however I would have to manually add new zone entries to named.conf on the
>  2nd box (linux no control panel).

	Yup.  That's a well-known problem.

>  Any ideas how to achieve that?

	You could set up something like rsync or ssync (rsync over ssh),
pull the configuration files out of a database on all machines, or
any number of other alternatives.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755