Dynamic Host DNS Registration

Jim Logan jllogan at bigfoot.com
Fri Jul 8 01:53:54 UTC 2005

[My apologies.  I used another wrong From!]

Kevin Darcy wrote:

>Sounds like the Windows boxes can't find the master server for the zone.

You nailed it!  Earlier I misinterpreted the following "<?>" on the
Windows client:

    The system failed to register network adapter with settings:

       Host Name : JimLogan
       Adapter-specific Domain Suffix : localhost
       DNS server list :
             192.168.123.90
       Sent update to server : <?>
       IP Address(es) :
         192.168.123.178

>Is the MNAME field of your SOA record set properly? And is that server
>also referred to by one of the NS records for the zone?

It wasn't, but it is now (I think).  I'm not getting any more errors on
the client, but it's still not working.  :-/

Here's the file for that zone as it stands now:

    $TTL    86400
    $ORIGIN localhost.
    localhost.              1D IN SOA       ns.localhost. root (
                                            42              ; serial (d.
    adams)
                                            3H              ; refresh
                                            15M             ; retry
                                            1W              ; expiry
                                            1D )            ; minimum

                            1D IN NS        ns.localhost.
                            1D IN A         127.0.0.1
    ;
    ;localhost.    IN NS  localhost.localhost
    ns                      A       192.168.123.90
    jimlogan                A       192.168.123.111

I'll have to do more reading and experimenting, I guess.  Thanks for
pointing me in the right direction!

-Jim