Dynamic Host DNS Registration

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Jul 8 02:06:35 UTC 2005

Jim Logan wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to this list and to bind, so please forgive any naive
> questions.  I've tried searching for an answer, but I can't find one.
> Maybe I'm searching on the wrong keywords?
>
> I have successfully set up a DNS server behind my firewall/NAT router
> that resolves my local names to local IP addresses.  I am now trying to
> add the ability to have Windows XP machines register their IP addresses
> and local host names with the DNS server.  I've been taking things one
> step at a time while I learn about BIND, so I'm leaving my DNS server
> completely insecure for the moment.
>
> Here's the problem.  The Windows XP event log is showing a failure, but
> I can't see anything that indicates a failure or denial on the DNS side,
> even though the zone files never change.  I do see messages in response
> to the registration in the query log, and I do see debugging trace
> messages in named.run, but I'm seeing nothing obvious that says the
> update is failing.  The closest thing I see in the debugging messages is:
>
>     req: leaving (JimLogan.localhost, rcode 0)
>     make_rr(localhost, 13a000, bfffeb34, 476, 1) 45 zone 2 ttl 86400
>
> (BTW, I haven't gotten around to changing the name of my "localhost"
> zone to a different name, like "local".  I hope that's not a factor.  I
> inherited that zone name from the Mac OS X configuration and never
> changed it.)
>
> I've tried setting the following within the localhost and reverse-lookup
> zones without effect:
>
>     * allow-update { all; };
>     * allow-update { mynet; }; (where mynet is defined at the top of the
>       file as "acl mynet { 192.168.123.0/24; 127.0.0.1; };")
>     * not mentioning allow-update at all
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Don't allow your Windows systems to update the DNS zone, have the DHCP
server do that. It's too insecure and much harder to manage the way you
are proposing. A DHCP server can send both A and PTR records as
necessary to BIND. You can also configure DHCP to authenticate itself
(with TSIG, IIRC) and only allow that system to update DNS.

Danny