Dynamic Host DNS Registration

Jim Logan jllogan at bigfoot.com
Tue Jul 12 21:08:08 UTC 2005

Sten Carlsen wrote:

> In my setup I have one PC running at all times. This PC is running
> Linux, RH9 at the moment, I will change to a recent Fedora Real Soon
> Now, I have everything running on this machine:
> Bind
> dhcpd
> samba (facing inwards only)
> postfix (not sendmail, I can figure out how to configure that)
> nfs
> xinetd with imap4 pop3
> ssh

That's almost exactly my setup.  I do run sendmail, but it took a lot of
experimentation to get it right.

<offtopic>
BTW, is Fedora something from Red Hat?  What makes it better than what
you're running?  I've not been paying attention to the latest Linux
news.  I just switched from Red Hat 6 to Mac OS X 10.2.  If it ain't
broke, I don't fix it. :-)  (That was a time consuming transition to
make, due to the change in *nix dialect and the way Apple uses a
convoluted directory server for its configurations instead of text
files!  Maybe the latst release is better, but I'm not gonna drop $100
to find out.)
</offtopic>

> This PC has 2 NICs, one facing inward and one facing outward. I have
> my public address on the outward facing NIC and a 192.168.x.x address
> on the inward facing NIC.

Ah, I see.  You're using your Linux machine as a firewall/NAT.  I have a
separate router/firewall/NAT.  I use my external domain name to reach
it, both inside and outside my network.  That may slow things down a
little, but it's simple.

The advantage is that I can use one external domain name to look like
one server, but the router/firewall/NAT box forwards those ports out to
the real server.  Like DNS domain names, that keeps me from having to
configure my applications when things change.  The router wants to use
IP addresses, so I have to do this configuration anyway.  It would be
nice to have one consistent mechanism, but I can't think of anything
besides replacing my router, or forwarding everything to one server that
forwards its ports by DNS name.

> The last building block you may want to look at is views in bind. That
> allows me to have two different IP given out for the same name
> depending on my physical location.

That sounds cool.  I wish I could invent a reason to experiment with that.

-Jim