[ot] Re: Dynamic Host DNS Registration

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 01:27:16 UTC 2005

Jim Logan wrote:
> <offtopic>
> BTW, is Fedora something from Red Hat?  What makes it better than what
> you're running?  I've not been paying attention to the latest Linux

"Red Hat Linux" per se no longer exists. "Red Hat Enterprise Linux"
targets the high-end server market, and arguably, the low-end sysadmin
market. ;) :)

"Fedora Core" is a community-based project almost like Debian. Red Hat
takes that as a basis for their RHEL releases. This happened quite some
time ago. 2+ years? Google would know.

> news.  I just switched from Red Hat 6 to Mac OS X 10.2.  If it ain't
> broke, I don't fix it. :-)  (That was a time consuming transition to

Unfortunately most of the older distros had serious security problems.
Those that were not patched have, for the most part, been compromised!
Red Hat 9.0 was the last RH public release before the Fedora project,
and it's seriously insecure out of the [old] box.

For some odd reason, it's not that unusual to hear of someone doing a
fresh install of RH9, even now. Like anything, it CAN be secured, but
it's a bad plan IMO to start off with so many problems.

> make, due to the change in *nix dialect and the way Apple uses a
> convoluted directory server for its configurations instead of text
> files!  Maybe the latst release is better, but I'm not gonna drop $100
> to find out.)

Yeah, one strength of free OS's is that you can get the latest and
greatest very easily and cheaply.
> </offtopic>

>>The last building block you may want to look at is views in bind. That
>>allows me to have two different IP given out for the same name
>>depending on my physical location.
>
> That sounds cool.  I wish I could invent a reason to experiment with that.

You need imagination! If there's a boss you have to convince, tell him
or her it's a security enhancement. Buzzwords like "security" are very
effective.

It definitely can be a usability enhancement. I, for instance, have
configured numerous sites with internal DNS domains like "site.lan".
That's the DHCP users' search domain. It would be very convenient,
especially for laptop users, if the search domain was the company's
regular Internet domain.
     or "not-spam" is in Subject: header