Dig and nslookup resolve; ping doesn't

Brett Carr brettcarr at ripe.net
Thu Jul 14 08:02:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Mark Tunnell wrote:

> I've got a box running Fedora Core release 3.  I'm able to resolve
> names such as www.yahoo.com using nslookup or dig but not using ping.
> "ping www.yahoo.com" returns "ping: unknown host www.yahoo.com".
>
> /etc/host.conf
> 	order hosts,bind
> /etc/nsswitch.conf
> 	hosts: files dns
>
> I'm logged in as root.  What am I missing here?

Well looks like you proved the namserver is working but also proved the
machine isnt using it.

What does your /etc/resolv.conf say, I would take a look there and ensure
it's pointing to its own ip (or localhost of course)

Brett

--
Brett Carr                              Ripe Network Coordination Centre
System Engineer -- Operations Group     Singel 258 Amsterdam NL