Dig and nslookup resolve; ping doesn't

Kerry Thompson kerry at security.geek.nz
Thu Jul 14 08:41:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 10:02 +0200, Brett Carr wrote:

> Well looks like you proved the namserver is working but also proved the
> machine isnt using it.
>
> What does your /etc/resolv.conf say, I would take a look there and ensure
> it's pointing to its own ip (or localhost of course)

Yes, it sounds like it. Although nslookup, host, and dig should be
using /etc/resolv.conf so its probably OK. Its more likely something
around around /etc/nsswitch.conf

I'd be tempted to run ping under strace myself, and trace backwards to
see where it losing it - but the output can be hard to interpret.

--
Kerry Thompson
http://www.crypt.gen.nz