DynDNS ?

Chris Cox chris_cox at stercomm.com
Fri Jul 15 15:45:06 UTC 2005

/dev/rob0 wrote:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:
>>I was already thinking on this issue.
>>My curent zonefiles are autogenerated by a script from a postgresql.
>>There will be no problem to change the script to use 'nsupdate', ok,
>>the script will be much bigger and slower, but it schould work too.
>
> You might want to reconsider, then. You could have your CGI add the
> records to PostgreSQL.

At one point we had a DB to BIND operation in the works.

But at the end of the day the only data you can trust, the only
data that is accurate is what BIND knows about.

So... we treat BIND as a database (duh).

We manage all of our zones dynamically (NO static records)..
we have role based scripts (with key'd access as well) that allow
particular users to manipulate records in a defined way.  We have
lower level scripts for when there is a need to go outside of the
"defined way" (hopefully few and far between).

By having only one way of updating the records, we can control
how the updates are done, by whom, logging, etc.  In our shop
general users don't have the authority, but our system would
allow for this if needed.

For DR, all you need is the data from BIND.... so we
zone transfer that data for "just in case" situations (left with
no masters or slaves operational).  Same with our DHCP info.