rndc.exe error

mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Jun 1 12:43:12 UTC 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
> At 09:57 PM 5/31/2005, Len Conrad wrote:
> >bind 9.3 on w2k, runs, is listening on port 53, and 953 as shown by
> >"netstat -na", is stop/starting from services applet, and resolving
> and >logging fine.  bind logs itself in as windows account "named".
> >
> >c:\winnt\system32dns\etc\rndc.conf is:
> >
> >key "rndc-key" {
> >         algorithm hmac-md5;
> >         secret "<secret>";
> >};
> >
> >options {
> >default-server 127.0.0.1;
> >default-key rndc-key;
> >default-port 953;
> >};
> >
> >=========>
> >the key statement above is pasted from the "rndc-confgen -a" command
> giving >the rndc.key file, which file is included into named.conf.
> >
> >The problem is that "rndc status"  gives the generic "rndc.exe has
> >generated error and will be closed...log being created"
> >
> >event viewer /application shows nothing.
> >
> >thanks
> >Len
>
> Try 9.3.1 instead. A lot of these crashes with utilities in BIND
> 9.3.0 on Win32 I reported and seem to have been fixed in 9.3.1.

That's most unlikely. The only time that there have been problems
was if different versions of dll's have been used. This is
particularly true of the openssl dll: libeay32.dll which is used
by other applications. That's the main reason that I recommend that
people put all of the application binaries in their own directory.
The installer used to put some of these files in the system32
directory. That was changed to not do that.

Danny