DNS problem

lorenzdominic_ at hotmail.com lorenzdominic_ at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 9 01:38:34 UTC 2005

Hi
I would like to know how DNS works for me at the moment I am a little
confused as to how it works even though it does work?

I have a Windows 98 client statically assigned IP address 10.0.0.25
attached to a Windows SBS 2003 IP address is 10.0.0.10

I have set the Gateway for the (ADSL/Router)on the Win98 client to
10.0.0.138, I also have only one DNS setting on the Win98 client set to
the same IP Address as the Server 10.0.0.10. Therefore I assume that
the Win98 client uses the DNS from the Server to resolve IP Adresses
but if it cannot resolve them what happens next?

If the Server DNS is allowing me to find a website on the internet how
does it work seeing that the only records I can find on the DNS server
are local?

I know the Gateway automatically receives the IP Adresses for the 2 DNS
servers from our Internet Provider.

How is it that I am able to connect to the internet? Does the DNS from
the Server play any part in the matter, or is the Gateway used to
supply to the Win98 client the DNS settings so that I can get on the
internet?

Your help is appreciated.

If you have an ideal settings let me know.

Regards
Dominic