port forwarding

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Mar 11 19:51:03 UTC 2005

At 1:06 PM -0500 2005-03-10, Scot wrote:

>  Not sure if this can even be done at the dns server or not.  Want to port
>  forward to a different port for a web server.
>  So for example, www.example.com is hosted on port 81.  When someone looks up
>  www.example.com, I want to redirect them to www.example.com:81 or something
>  along those lines.

	DNS has nothing to do with ports.

>                       I know certain services like no-ip.com use something
>  called web forwarding.  Wasn't sure if they were doing this via dns records,
>  or if they are sending them first to a dummy website they host - then
>  redirecting via a http header or something to your host with the new port.

	It's called web forwarding for a reason -- they set up a web 
server to accept connections using that IP address/name, and then 
configure it to send an HTTP Redirect to the browser which is aimed 
at the correct location.

>  Can anyone let me know of a way of doing this via dns if possible?

	Not via DNS, no.

Brad Knowles, <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

     -- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), reply of the Pennsylvania
     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

   SAGE member since 1995.  See <http://www.sage.org/> for more info.

More information about the bind-users mailing list