(no subject)

Mike Carly starmunger at hotmail.co.uk
Wed May 4 09:16:52 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm having problems with Bind 9.3.1 acting as a slave with a Windows Server
2003 master

I've spent the last few days trawling through google and archives without
much luck (for some bizarre reason most sites assume i'm upgrading to
Microsoft not integrating with!), so am posting here now in the hope that
someone can offer a pointer.

The problem is that when I request that bind makes a new zone transfer
(AXFR), it doesn't always happen. The same problem occurs when using dig. If
I leave bind running then sometimes within 40 minutes or so it will
sucessfully make a transfer, but not always.

Looking at the Windows Server 2003 system log, the bind box does actually
try and make the request and windows does reply. Looking at syslog on the
bind box it makes the request, but times out recieving an answer.

Using nslookup on the Windows box works, as does from other windows machines
on the network. I haven't set the Windows Server machine to restrict access
to certain IPs, and it's config is pretty standard (it was a fresh install a
couple of days ago)

I'm 99% sure this isn't a firewalling issue. I did read somewhere that it
might be due to Windows Server not being able to resolve the IP of the bind
box, so I added an entry to it's DNS and ran nslookup on the machine
manually to make sure it had it in it's DNS cache, which didn't help.

I've taken some packet dumps with ethereal whilst attempting an AXFR that I
can post if it helps.

Many thanks

Mike Carly