local domains

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Tue May 10 18:23:51 UTC 2005

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 05/10/2005 01:54:56 PM:
> Hi,
>
> www.mydomain.com and mail.mydomain.com are maintained from my ISP. My
> private network is behind a router with NAT and I set up BIND 9.2.5
> (FC3) with intra.net as domain name. Everthing works as expected.

Do you actually own the domain name "intra.net".  If not, and you want to
go to "www.intra.net", you could be in trouble.

> My question is if it's possible to name my private lan also with my
> official domain (e.g. mydomain.com)? Internal users should look up my
> DNS and external ones use the DNS from my ISP. But this doesn't work for

Yes.  This setup is called a split DNS.

Your internal zone file for your domain contains the *best* information.
That is, for an internal server you have an internal IP.  However, for
your www and mail you have an external IP.

> www and mail from inside at the moment. Here is my configuration:
>
> # cat /etc/named.conf
> options {
>         directory "/var/named";
>         forwarders {
>                 195.3.95.68;
>                 213.33.98.136;
>         };
>         query-source port 53;
> };
>
> zone "." {
>   type hint;
>   file "named.ca";
> };
>
> zone "mydomain.com" {
>   type master;
>   file "mydomain.com.zone";
> };
>
> zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
>   type master;
>   file "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa";
> };
>
> # cat /var/named/mydomain.com.zone
> $TTL 86400
> @       IN      SOA     p500.mydomain.com. root.mydomain.com. (
>                         2005031812      ; serial
>                         300             ; refresh after 5 minutes
>                         60              ; retry after 1 minute
>                         1209600         ; expire after 2 weeks
>                         43200 )         ; minimum TTL of a half day
>
>         IN      NS      p500.mydomain.com.
>
>         IN      MX      5       p500.mydomain.com.
>
>                 IN      A       192.168.0.3
>
> wgt624          IN      A       192.168.0.1
> p500            IN      A       192.168.0.3
> oj              IN      A       192.168.0.5
> lanmodem        IN      A       192.168.254.1
> www             IN      A       81.223.238.230 ; does not work!

You will have to show me the output of your tests that show this does not
work.  It should work.

> mail            IN      CNAME   p500
> pop             IN      CNAME   p500
> imap            IN      CNAME   p500
> router          IN      CNAME   wgt624
>
> # cat /var/named/0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> $TTL 86400
> @ IN SOA p500.mydomain.com. root.mydomain.com. (
>   2005031808 ; serial number
>   300        ; refresh
>   60         ; retry
>   1209600    ; expire
>   43200      ; minimum TTL for negative answers
> )
>         IN NS   p500.mydomain.com.
>
>  1      IN PTR  wgt624.mydomain.com.
>  3      IN PTR  p500.mydomain.com.