local domains

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Wed May 11 13:42:19 UTC 2005

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 05/10/2005 02:51:59 PM:
> David Botham schrieb:
> > Do you actually own the domain name "intra.net".  If not, and you want
> > go to "www.intra.net", you could be in trouble.
>
> That's why I'm asking.

OK, then, to be clear, do not use a domain that could possibly collide
with someone else's name space.

> > Yes.  This setup is called a split DNS.
>
> Good.
>
> > Your internal zone file for your domain contains the *best*
information.
> > That is, for an internal server you have an internal IP.  However, for

> > your www and mail you have an external IP.
>
> >> www             IN      A       81.223.238.230 ; does not work!
> >
> > You will have to show me the output of your tests that show this does
not
> > work.  It should work.
>
> Trying to ping www.vecernik.at works, but surfing does not work

I you can ping by domain name than I would assume that DNS resolution is
working (unless you have hosts file entries I / we don't know about).

> (timeout). If I change from direct connection using my ISP's proxy (with
> Firefox 1.0.3 on XPPro) it works! Why is direct surfing not possible
> anymore?

I don't think I have enough information about your network to determine
why your web browser cannot communicate with your web site.  However, you
mentioned that you are using a Proxy.  I would look closely at your proxy
configuration, firewall, or other access devices that could be causing the
problem.  It does not look like DNS is the problem.

> What kind of output do you mean? I activated querylog, but I can't see
> the answers from my DNS in /var/log/messages.

Typically when someone indicates that name resolution is not working they
have tested with nslookup or (preferably) dig.  I was wondering if you
could send me the ouput of a dig or nslookup test that failed for the
domain name in question.

hth,

Dave...