ZONE file

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri May 13 08:20:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 01:38:05PM +0200,
 Mokwena Motseto <Mokwena.Motseto at postoffice.co.za> wrote
 a message of 184 lines which said:

> Our zone file is too big,

What is its actual size? ("Too big" is no engineer's speaking).

> and it becomes very difficult to manage it,

Do you mean you edit it by hand (because BIND itself has no trouble
handling humongous zone files)? If so, I suggest you switch to a
better tool to handle it (small zones can be edited by hand but if you
have, say, 10,000 hosts, you certainly have a good use case to create
or deploy a tool to manage them).

> there a way I can separate it into small files, maybe one with A
> records and another with CNAME and so on

This is certainly possible, either via BIND's $INCLUDE or via a
pre-processor.