ZONE file

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri May 13 13:37:38 UTC 2005

"Mokwena Motseto" <Mokwena.Motseto at postoffice.co.za> wrote:

>Our zone file is too big, and it becomes very difficult to manage it, is
>there a way I can separate it into small files, maybe one with A records
>and another with CNAME and so on

In my named files for one of my zones I have (following the SOA record)
in a file "named.xxx":

     $INCLUDE ns.12le
     localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1
     $INCLUDE hosts.xxx
     $INCLUDE mx.xxx
     $INCLUDE cname.xxx
     $INCLUDE srv.xxx

I separate host ("A"), MX, CNAME, and SRV records.  And I have shell
scripts

     vihosts xxx
     vicname xxx
     vimx xxx
     visrv xxx

that edit the appropriate .xxx file and then edit the named.xxx file.
If I have different internal and external MX records for the zone,
the scripts know this and edit

     mx.xxx-int
     mx.xxx-ext
     named.xxx-int