Query on DNS Bind cache setting

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 18 13:00:41 UTC 2005

In article <d6f3t5$2pnn$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Sabat Gangadhar" <sgangadhar at novell.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>          In DNS bind, two clean the cache, 2 types of cache setting are
> there. One is at zone level by default 24hr, and another at server level

No, it's actually at the record level, but when configuring the
authoritative server you can set per-zone defaults.  The only zone-level
TTL is the negative cache TTL, which comes from the zone's SOA record.

> such as max-cache-ttl, max-ncache-ttl and cleaning-interval.
> Which level setting is effective if both options are set?
> Thanks in advance.

The max-XXX-ttl server settings are just a maximum.  A record's TTL will
be used unless it's longer than the max-XXX-ttl, in which case the
latter will be used instead.

Cleaning-interval has no effect on any of this.  It just specifies how
often named will search through the cache looking for entries that have
timed out.  But if a record is looked up and it has timed out, it will
be deleted immediate even if the cleaning interval hasn't run out.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA