Underscores in Host Names

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 18 21:59:47 UTC 2005

R.D. wrote:

>Hello all.
>We have a client containing an underscore in the email address domain
>name.

Please define exactly what you mean by that. Do you mean the *owner* of
the MX record has an underscore in it, or do you mean that the MX
*target* has an underscore in it? The target shouldn't have an
underscore in it, since it is considered to be a "hostname" and
underscores in "hostname"s is forbidden by RFC 952. If it's the MX
*owner* that has an underscore in it, then I think that's allowable
under the standards, and your email software is being too picky.