HowTo setup a standard zone?

Alexandros Gougousoudis dros at gmx.de
Mon Nov 21 15:28:11 UTC 2005

Hi,

I run bind9 (Debian Sarge) which manages several zones. The system runs
good. All important servers are in one zone. Lets say my-servers.local.

Normally you need a computername and a dns suffix to resolve a name into
its number. Which is server1.my-server.local.

Whether server1 is wanted, the suffix must be IMHO present. The suffix
must be set in the client software.

We have a lot of Windows clients, where the dns suffix is not set. Now I
can run around and set the suffix by hand.

Is it somehow possible to make bind9 assume a standard-zone like
my-servers.local, if no suffix is given by the client?

Yes, I looked around in the net, and didn't find what I need! :-)

TIA
  Alex