dDNS was working, quit.

edavid3001 at gmail.com edavid3001 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 17:58:48 UTC 2005

I have a DDNS zone which is updated by the DHCP servers.
The DHCP servers are on the allow-update list below.
This zone is only used by DDNS for dynamic lookup, so if it is
compromised it is not a big deal.

I upgraded the master server from BIND 9.21 to 9.3.0, which is when
this quit working.  The upgrade was done by taking the old RH8 server
and slaving a Mandrake 10.1o server from it, then converting the
Mandrake zones to MASTER zones, removing the RH8 server and making the
MDK server have the same name and IP as the old server.   The
Mandrake's NAMED.CONF looks very simular to the RH8 server's.

Here is the zone in question;

zone "ddns.primeinc.com" {
	type master;
	file "/var/named/ddns.primeinc.com.hosts";
	allow-update {
		172.16.40.100;
		172.16.40.110;
		172.16.40.120;
		};
	};

I've tried adding the rndc key to the DNS server and then setting the
DHCP server to use it, but that doesn't work either.  The NAMED.CONF
has allow-update { my-key } and everythings been restarted.

key my-key {
	algorithm hmac-md5;
	secret "notshown";
	}
zone ddns.primeinc.com. {
	primary 172.16.40.100;
	key my-key;
	}

Before I upgraded the DNS server, the DHCP updates were working and I
had hundreds of addresses in the zone (yesterday)  now I have two
addresses.

Also, when I start bind the server doesn't give the error "zone soandso
allows updates by ip which is insecure" that I got on the 9.2.1 server.

Is there something special I need to do on BIND that I've forgot?  It's
been a long time since I initially set this all up.