bind setup

Damien Hull dhull at digitaloverload.net
Tue Oct 4 03:51:55 UTC 2005

I've had trouble getting bind to work reliably on a local network. I now
need to setup a DNS server on the net but I don't want to send out bad
DNS info. Here's what I've got.

   1. CentOS 4.1
   2. Bind 9 something ( don't know how to tell what version I have )
   3. Cable modem connection ( no revers mapping )

Here's what I know

   1. Need . file with root servers
   2. Need 127.0.0
   3. Need SOA
   4. Forward lookup file
   5. Revers lookup file
   6. CentOS/Fedora/Redhat have a DNS config tool. Webmin also has a
      config tool which I have used.

Problems

   1. I'm not sure what goes into the 127.0.0. section
   2. Not sure if the DNS config tools are any good ( the Webmin tool
      has worked for me )

Here's some of what I see on a default install.

   1. 127.0.0 points to localhost.localdomain ( should I leave it this
      way? )
   2. There are several master domains ( I normally delete these and
      setup my own master domain )
         1. 0:0:0 something
         2. 255.255.255 something
         3. localhost.localdomain ( i think )

I don't want to populate the Internet with bad DNS. Any help is
appreciated.