dig and the searchlist

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Sep 6 12:44:19 UTC 2005

At 2:26 PM +0200 2005-09-06, Uwe Gansert wrote:

>  I think the mailinglist software has destroyed my mails. There was an Umlaut
>  in my signature (an u with dots on it). I removed that and I hope the mail
>  is fine now.

	I don't think it was the mailing list software.  I think it was
your MUA that was sending your messages as an unmarked 8-bit
encoding, but didn't specify the character set, etc....  At least,
looking at the MIME headers of the previous messages I received from
you, that's the way it looks to me.

>  I see the broken mail too. I hope it's fixed now, since I don't have the
>  Umlaut in my signature anymore.

	This response does look better.

>  I tried that what you suggested with no spaces and no 3D in it but it does
>  not work. the +ndots parameter gets ignored. Just in the resolv.conf it
>  works.

	Hmm.  I tried using the version of dig from BIND-8.4.6, and that
seems to understand ndots correctly on the command-line, as does dig
from BIND-9.3.1.  Maybe you've got an older version of dig that
doesn't?

	Without any more information, that's the best guess I can come up
with.  Maybe further reflection and testing will provide some answers.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755