dig and the searchlist

Uwe Gansert ug at suse.de
Tue Sep 6 12:55:33 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 14:44, Brad Knowles wrote:

> >  I think the mailinglist software has destroyed my mails. There was an
> > Umlaut in my signature (an u with dots on it). I removed that and I
> > hope the mail is fine now.
>
> 	I don't think it was the mailing list software.  I think it was
> your MUA that was sending your messages as an unmarked 8-bit
> encoding, but didn't specify the character set, etc....  At least,
> looking at the MIME headers of the previous messages I received from
> you, that's the way it looks to me.

My mails had:

I think that's correct. iso-8859-1 is a charset with german Umlauts.
I don't see what the MUA might be doing wrong here and actually this
mailinglist is the only place where I have/had that problem in years.
But have to admit, I'm not that i18n expert :)

So, what I tried was "dig +search +ndots=2 www.taylor" and that did not
work. The search list was not used.

> 	Hmm.  I tried using the version of dig from BIND-8.4.6, and that
> seems to understand ndots correctly on the command-line, as does dig
> from BIND-9.3.1.  Maybe you've got an older version of dig that
> doesn't?

dig -v shows 9.3.1
That's very strange.

> 	Without any more information, that's the best guess I can come up
> with.  Maybe further reflection and testing will provide some answers.

thanks for your support.

--
ciao, Uwe Gansert

Uwe Gansert, Server Technologies Team
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany
e-mail: uwe.gansert at suse.de, Tel: +49-(0)911-74053-0,
Fax: +49-(0)911-74053-476, Web: http://www.suse.de