Recommended setup with large cache memory

Attila Nagy bra at fsn.hu
Thu Sep 8 14:44:12 UTC 2005

Hello,

I would like to ask, what is the recommended setup, where large cache
memory is configured to the named process. In this case large means
about 1-1.5 GB.

The problem is that if I set a max-cache-size to a high value, the
purging of old records (default cleaning-interval every 60 minutes)
takes minutes even on a fast machine. (2.6 GHz Opteron).

During this time the server responds very slowly, if at all.

If I set cleaning-interval to 0 (or increase to days for example), the
used memory grows above the configured limit. I guess if it reaches the
physical limit, it will begin swapping, but I don't want to see it.

Wouldn't a simple LRU, or even a random drop method would better than
this regular pruning which bogs down the machine for minutes?

Will this change in 9.4?

Thanks,

--
Attila Nagy                                   e-mail: Attila.Nagy at fsn.hu