Split view - different records in zones

Karntol Dernsef karntol at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 05:20:03 UTC 2005

Heya there,
I've got a question concerning the split view, concerning the fact that
there are differences between the internal and the external zones.

We've got some zones hosted in the internal DNS, for example named
bummer.org <http://bummer.org>, we host this one because we use an intranet
server and some other A records, pointing to servers within our walls. For
example intranet01.bummer.org <http://intranet01.bummer.org>.

But then, the website and the maildomain is hosted and maintained/built by
our hosting company, and the DNS is hosted there too. So we do need some
records pointing to external IP adresses, for the domain
mail.bummer.org<http://mail.bummer.org>and
www.bummer.org <http://www.bummer.org> for example. From here, we've got a
problem, because the bummer.org <http://bummer.org> zone is hosted
internally, the resolvers try to resolve the records in the internal zone
from our authoritative DNS server. But, there is no
mail.bummer.org<http://mail.bummer.org>there, and no www record there.
Also, when we will create them, we will have
a problem again, when the hosting company decides to create a
www01.bummer.org <http://www01.bummer.org>, or a
projects.bummer.org<http://projects.bummer.org>to which is linked from
the website for example.

What would be the best way to tackle this problem, is there a possibility
that our resolvers try to resolve a record on the Internet in a particular
zone, when our authoritative DNS server says there is no such record in that
particular zone? Is there a configuration option like that in named.conf?

The thing is, we just migrated the DNS from another company to do it
ourselves, and we just migrated the zones without changing the content,
except the NS records of course. It seems that they have overcome this
problem in some way too, but we can't ask (well, actually we can, but we
don't expect an answer)

Or should we maintain the external records also internally? The problem is
that we have two static databases which can get inconsistent because of
humans need to communicate the changes.

It is no option to just host for example bummer.int <http://bummer.int>, and
keep that zone in our internal servers, it is a huge organisation, and it
will take months to arrange that.

I hope someone can point me in some good directions for this.

Karntol