Help needed configuring Bind 9

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 07:19:24 UTC 2005

Hello everyone. Years ago, I used Bind 4 a lot, and had no trouble
getting it to do what I wanted.

Now, I'm using a windows XP system. My ISP has had name server trouble
tonight, and I decided to get BIND and configure a simple local cache
to avoid having to requery my ISP for everything.

I cannot figure out how to get BIND to work for a simple cache.

First, I ran the installer. It created an account "named" for bind to
run as a service. I gave it no password. However, it refuses to start
up as a server; checking the event log shows that the login fails with
"bad account or password". I've verified that the account is correct
(selecting it from the list provided by the "log in" tab in services).
That only leaves a blank password as a problem, but I can't figure out
how to change the service's password.

So next, I try using "bind -f" from the command line. And, my first
attempt was the simple "caching only" configuration in the manual.

That was
named.conf:

// Provide a reverse mapping for the loopback address 127.0.0.1
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
     type master;
     file "localhost.rev";
     notify no;
};

as the only config file. It didn't work. (No "localhost.rev"). I added that:

$ORIGIN 0.0.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
$GENERATE 1-127 $ CNAME $.0
1       ptr     localhost

But that didn't work either.

My current named.conf has:

options {
        directory "c:\michael-2\dns";
        query-source address 24.48.217.227 port 53;
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
     type master;
     file "local.rev";
     notify no;
};

The "query-source" line specifies my ISP's DNS server, so I have
something to bootstrap from. I'm specifying the directory where my
files are located.

And I'm still getting errors:

could not get query source dispatcher (24.48.217.227#53)
exiting (due to fatal error)

I could not find a "bind" or "named" FAQ over at faqs.org
There are no sample configuration files supplied in the distribution,
and the manual doesn't have enough of a config file to get going.

Can someone help me?