named logging

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 4 22:05:11 UTC 2006

You need to give a better description than "just dies". Is the named
process aborting? Core-dumping? If that's what you mean by "die", then
you've somehow run across a serious bug and you need to report it
immediately to ISC (assuming you're running the latest version of BIND,
of course; if you're not, then upgrade and you may find that the problem
goes away). In this case, I would not be surprised that there is no
logging of the error, since the event which triggers the crash is so
abrupt and unexpected, there probably isn't any way to get an error
message out to the log.

On the other hand, by "just dies", you mean that the zone isn't loaded,
then there *should* be an error message in the log, even with just the
"default" category. You've mapped named's syslog messages to the
"local2" facility, however, so they probably won't show up in any of the
"standard" logfiles (e.g. /var/adm/messages, /var/log/messages, or
whatever is normal on your OS platform), and you'd need some extra
configuration in syslog.conf (or the equivalent conf file for your
syslog daemon) in order to capture those messages somewhere.

                               -Kevin